Minefield team building is a game designed to improve communication game. Your group of people will be divided into pairs and follow the instructions below. Each pair will be prompted to trust each other to listen carefully; this is key to succeeding!
- Open communication provides everyone equal participation in the achievements of the business. Constructing an atmosphere of open communication is instrumental in building team morale and allows for a flow of energy, creativity and problem-solving amongst your company. It establishes an environment where all employees have a clear understanding of the companies goals and what needs to be done to accomplish these goals.
- Collaboration in the workplace has long been revered as a sign of an effective, high-functioning team. Not very long ago, success in collaboration meant breaking down cubical and office walls and pushing for employees to work together 24/7. Although this approach worked for many employees, others felt stifled.
- These qualities assist in reducing messy office politics and decrease workplace conflict, making for a healthier, happier workforce.
Common office items and a clear space
- Divide the group into pairs. One partner will be blindfolded while the other will focus on guiding their teammate from beginning to end through this dicey course without setting off any mines.
- Use water bottles, boxes, markers, chairs, etc. to create an obstacle course of “mines” within your clear space.
- The teammate guiding their partner is restricted from accessing the course and can only provide verbal instruction to assist their partner as they traverse through the obstacles.
Depending on the number of people you have and how difficult you want this activity to be, you can vary the number of pairs trying to complete the course at the same time so that pairs have to work harder to listen to each other and communicate clearly.